Difference Between Wooden Greenhouse and Steel Greenhouse
Types of Green Houses in Kenya
Wooden and Steel Greenhouses are the common types of greenhouses in Kenya .
Often Farmers will compare the two in terms of prices and durability in this segment we break down the pros and the cons of the two.
The advantages of a Wooden Green House
- It’s easy to install in any shape.
- Easily maintained since wood /timber is easily available in case of a breakdown.
- It’s steady to fasten hooks across any angle of the structure.
- Wood being a natural heat retainer helps retain much heat in the greenhouse which is ideal in promoting fast plant growth within the greenhouse.
Disadvantages of Wooden Greenhouse.
- Not ideal for areas prone to termites, since it will break down faster due to termite infestation.
- Not ideal for areas with cool and wet temperatures this is because woods absorb moisture, which makes the wood weak and makes it vulnerable to strong winds.
- Takes a longer time to treat the wooden poles.
Advantages of Steel Greenhouses
- It’s more durable since it’s made from galvanized steel pipes.
- Easily portable and also easy to install.
- Easy to customize since metals can be easily fabricated to any size and shape.
- Since its base is strong and durable it makes them not prone to winds and hail storms.
Disadvantages of Steel Green Houses
- The cost of construction and maintenance is huge.
With the comparisons above a farmer is able to decide on what type of greenhouse they need.
The upside is that both Wooden and Steel Greenhouses are great in;
- Shielding crops from adverse weather effects
- Help in prolonged growing seasons
- Can both be used to grow different high-value crops e.g. Greenhouse tomatoes? greenhouse capsicum, greenhouse horticultural crops.